miércoles, 27 de octubre de 2010

The Harris Map (part three)

Part Three (and last one)

(Don't read without reading part one or part two, just a friendly warning)

I was hiding the Harris map in my backpack. Not that old man Harris didn't know this. I just wanted to pretend everything was all right, even though it wasn't.

I couldn't stop staring at the back of his head. It was like medusa, I even felt he had eyes on that messy dirty chilling hair. Arthur gave me this look that I have know for years, its the "They know we did the toilet papering at the principals house" look, and I gave him my "We will find a way to blame someone else" look. We entered the house trough a huge wood front door, it was like entering a ghost house, not that we were surprised; I mean this was old Harris house.

I remember a particular party that I went too, it was the birthday of some popular kid and everyone was going to be there, so I went thinking that Arthur would go, but he didn't, he had the flu, and so I was stuck with Natalie and her brainless friends all night long, to distract myself I started to drink this beer that was mostly foam, and I am not a very good drinker so after my fourth foam-beer I was completely drunk. I remember dancing on the table "coyote ugly style", kissing a random ugly guy, screaming "SHOTS" at the top of my lungs like I was a cool dude and of course puking my guts out on the front lawn while Natalie held my hair and muttered angry words.

Of course Monday morning I remember feeling scared, embarrassed and freaked out to go to school and face the dirty looks of my classmates, Natalie, Natalie´s friends, the random ugly guy I kissed and of course Arthur. It was the worst feeling, but nothing compared to that night with old man Harris.

Old Harris, still not turning back guided us to his living room. To my surprise it was a nice living room, not scary at all. The walls were painted an eggshell creamy color, the furniture was blue and comfy and there were beautiful paintings of the ocean and sailboats on the walls. He sat on one of the sofas and motioned us to sit in front of him.

"So" he said in his authoritarian voice we heard earlier "Can you tell me why you broke into my house at the middle of the night and stole my map?"

I was quiet so Arthur spoke "Im sorry, We are sorry Sir, Mister huh... Harris"

"That is not gonna work for me, maybe it works for your parents when you make those puppy loving eyes and say you are sorry, but you tried to steal something from me, in some places in the world this is punished by death" he made a pause, now I was really freaking out, he was going to kill us, we were dead.

He sighed deeply and continued speaking "I just need a good explanation of why you did this, a real answer, and I need it right now"

"WE WANT TO TRAVEL TO THE OTHER WORLD" I screamed in high pitch voice, boy was I scared.

Old man Harris continued to stare at us, maybe he was planning how to kill us now, maybe he would jump to our throats and rip them out, it sure did look like he wanted to do that. And then he just started laughing, really laughing.

"You want to travel to the other world you silly young creatures?"

I wasn't sure how if I was supposed to answer that, he was still laughing at us.

"You wouldn't survive one minute in the other world" he suddenly said with no more laughter in his voice, he was rusty serious again. "There are things you cant even begin to imagine, things that could kill you in an instant, dark creatures, old spells creeping in every corner, traps traps traps everywhere, its possible you cant even get back to this world once you are on the hell of the other world"

I gulped. I looked at Arthur, and he was smiling. What?! Why was he smiling?! This was not a situation were you were supposed to smile, did he listened? Dark creatures and traps traps traps everywhere and this old man was horrifying and crazy, he could kill us.

"No way" Arthur said. "No freaking way, you are just telling us that so we wont go to the other world because you know we can and you cant because you don't love anyone".

Was Arthur seriously challenging this guy?.

I remember when my brother died, tree years ago. I wanted to die to, he was my support system, my confident, my friend, my blood, and he was taken away from me, in a stupid stupid stupid battle against a rare disease. I had given up, but Arthur was there to pick me up again when my parents were to weak to do that, he was by my side, every step of the way, he told me I had to live because he needed me, and that one day we would do amazing things together, things no one even dared doing, and here we were.

Arthur was being serious, and the old man Harris was now confused. "Well he said, you are right and wrong kid, Im not gonna tell you the truth, maybe I was lying about the creatures or maybe I wasn't, but go ahead, I see you have the guts, you can keep the map, you can go to the other world".

Arthur and I did go on our road-trip and to the other world. Im not going to tell you what part was the old man Harris lying about, but he was telling the truth about some things, for instance we were trapped.

THE END.

Thanks for reading imaginary readers.

Hope you liked it, Best of luck.

Blogger Templates

Blogger Templates



No hay comentarios: