domingo, 7 de octubre de 2012

Something (Part one)


Something (Part one)

By: Carla Sierra Arzuffi

The night is hotter than usual. I am sitting on a field, surrounded by the dark. The steamy wind makes the long grass sing. The crickets are playing their regular symphony of distorted sounds. Other things move, but I do not know what they where. I am waiting for something, something to happen. Anything. Here I am, completely exposed. Just me, in the darkness. Vulnerable.

I am desperately waiting for a bear to spring out of nowhere and rip my head off, or a ghost to float into the field and consume my soul, or for a group of aliens to fly right on top of me, abduct me, and make horrible experiments with my body, to see a goddess fall out of the sky, or just for a ridiculous sparkly fairy to twirl in front of me. But no. Nothing is happening. Not even a spider dares to bite me. I urge for something that is must defiantly not coming.

I inhale a huge chunk of air and exhale in desperation. I get up and decide to take the long way home. I could just take the 10 minutes, perfectly safe and illuminated road, but oh no, today I am feeling on a dangerous strike. So the long way it is. It takes me 40 minutes to get home, I expected for something to creep out of every corner, but yet again, nothing happened. I am as always, safe, not even a single scratch marks my body.

Dad is sleeping in front of the T.V, no surprise here. I take the dirty dishes off the table and start scrubbing them in the sink like my life depends on this single task. When I finish this I serve myself dinner, which consists of four old Oreo cookies. A thought that I could choke on them crosses my mind, but they manage to pass through my system without any a choking hazard moment.

I go back into the living room, give my dad a kiss on the forehead as he mumbles the usual “Goodnight honey” and I go up to my room. So, it all was a terrible joke. In about 40 minutes my week to have a ‘life changing, supernatural experience’ will end. I am not surprised, but I kind of am.

Precisely one week ago a fair come to town. I went there with my two best friends, Carrie and Hanna, and while they decided to go for a ride in ‘Dante Inferno’ rollercoaster I visited the fortuneteller booth. The woman looked exactly how a fortuneteller should look. I have to admit I bought the whole ‘magic’ show. And so she told me that the upcoming week would mark my life. That something would happen, something terrible or something amazing, but that something would be supernatural, and it would change my life forever.

I was excited, even if it meant it was something terrible, because nothing even remotely interesting ever happens in my life. I always want more, but more is not an option in a small town like the one I live in. So yes, the whole week I was expecting something, and nothing happened. So tonight, I was really angry and decided to go look out for my ‘life changing experience’ instead of just sit and wait for it.

What an asshole”- I say out loud to myself.

How could I be so stupid? I proceed to change into my old, most comfortable pajamas, brush my teeth and hair, and jump exhausted into my bed. I fall asleep almost immediately. 

Exactly five minutes before my time expires I open my eyes and glance at the clock. Something feels extremely wrong. Something is about to happen.  

To be continued...

C.L.S.A




No hay comentarios: